Wednesday, March 25, 2009

wow....a month since I blogged. Juggling part time work and household chores and cooking is not easy. Sometimes i wished i worked full time, that way I wouldn't have to worry about cooking lunch and cleaning constant mess, just send em to the babysitters. At other times I wished I was full time mum, so I wouldn't have to rush my household chores and the children. I'm constantly rushing so I can get to work on time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyway...today was an interesting day. I spent the afternoon at an NGO, auditioning underpriviledged children and orphans. If all goes as planned, I will be teaching music to these underpriviledged children starting next month.

I remember the first time I volunteered at an orphanage the year I came back from the US. I helped out at 2 orphanages and it was in many ways a rewarding experience. Most of the time these children wanted someone to talk to, someone who'd love them, who'd come regularly and not drop out like many volunteers do.

Sometimes teaching them is not easy. There was this time I was teaching a group of 6-7 year olds music. I think there were 10 of them. I remember how they came barefooted in shabby clothes. It was hard teaching that class. Everyone wanted to sit next to me, and hold my hands....so there was much shoving and pushing and I spent most of the time trying to control these children. At one time I told them "Let's hold hands and make a circle and dance around." So I had like 2-3 children holding parts of my hands, and some hanging on to my shirt...and we moved, not in a perfect circle, but more like a perfect blob of people, all clinging on to me. Smile

Anyway, today's children seem pretty talented, especially in rhythm and dance! they could hip-hop, do break dance, do hand stands and cartwheels. Interesting. Some of them were so shy...and some so very brave and independent. But they all had huge lovely eyes....

I don't know yet what teaching them will be like.... I anticipate that a few of them will be a problem.. Some may have ADHD i think...and problems understanding. Most of them speak Tamil. we'll see when time comes, but I am already looking forward to the time when classes will begin.

3 comments:

  1. glad to see you back to blogging, hearts! and thanks for the b'day wishes. :)

    it's a great thing that you're doing by teaching those underprivileged children and showing them such love and care! i'm sure you'd do a good job with them. :)

    so u saw a Hindi movie? :) that's cool! what was the name of the movie, any idea? i can't recall the name by the storyline that you gave me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An NGO is an orphanage, Hearts? It must hurt to see children needing affection so desperately.

    As far as I know, there aren't any more orphanages in the states. Instead, there is foster care - as I am sure you are aware.

    I just checked and it looks like there are some including private Christian and Jewish. Something to look into.

    Bless you for giving what little extra time you have to these children. God loves children and it pleases Him that you are doing this.

    love you, a.g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non government organization. Better late than never to look it up.

    ReplyDelete