Monday, January 21, 2008

today, me and my children held a little recital of our own. :) I switched off all the hall lights, leaving the light above the piano on. So my little Nel and Jo took turns performing, bowing each time before a piece was played.You should've seen the way Jo bows, drives me to fits of laughter. hahaha...

They played, "improvisations" based on picture books placed on the piano. haha... I was just thoroughly entertained. In between, they sang songs, quoted Bible verses, ending each performance with more bows! haha...

As the recital progressed, Jo got creative. She did her cutest bow, climbed up the piano stool, and began playing the piano with her nose, then forehead. Hearing our laughter, she was further encouraged to try playing the piano with other body parts, like her cheeks, elbow and ears. The grand finale was when she stopped to pick the booger from her nose. hahahaha...

Finally, this mama decided that the recital wouldn't be complete without a performance from me. So I took my bow, went up to the piano to perform a classical piece.

I ended the recital by playing and singing a lovely song which I've sang to my children since the day they were born. I sing it to them almost every night.... "May the Lord Bless you and Keep You" by Twila Paris. So imagine this, as I played the piano and sang.... my little Nel got up and started dancing the most beautiful, touching dance in the dimly lited hall.... she and I seemed so connected then...

I just felt like she was a baby in my arms all over again...it was beautiful... I had tears in my eyes at the end of the performance....looking at my beautiful children...and knowing that yeah, they're truly a blessing from the Lord.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Hearts,
    I really enjoyed read your new entry,Jo'has entertain her mum LOL!
    You having a wonderful times..
    my G-daughter's playing piano for off and on not all the time.
    One thing is problems that seemed not keeping practicing...
    because of young age?
    But their mum's happier so not worry ha ha ha
    Awhile you can singing with children that means you were happy mum. keeps up happy times.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful entry, H. I was picturing it in my mind. This auntie is filled with joy by yours and the childrens' actions.

    As for Jo's temper, be strong and consistent. Make sure she knows the rules before you discipline her. I wish someone had told this to me years ago. If Jo exhibits a new bad behavior, give her a warning that if she does it again she will be punished and let her know what the punishment will be. Children need limits and they will test you. Not disciplining would show a lack of love.

    I learned the above late in my childrens' parenting. Things would have been better had I know these things years ago. heavy sigh

    I hope that all is well with you and yours. Big hugs all around from auntie g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Hearts! I can't stop smiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Heart!

    Thanks for inviting me to FB...that's an insane thing...but I think I got the hang of it now.

    Your kids favor you more than your hubby I have to say. Anyway, I think Jo might be acting out because she misses Nel not being around. But your friend, aunty G, is absolutely right. She needs to be taught the rules at home, and there will be consequences when she makes wrong choices.

    My experience with kids in the past is that they will push the boundary and test you sometimes. You have to be firm.

    Personally, I do not like all this mind playing parenting ideas. I rather pad the behind a few times. In 5 minutes, all the discipline is over. You can go back in loving them...instead of one week of no TV...dragging that out into weeks and months.

    I hope that helps,
    HT

    ReplyDelete
  5. how blessed your children are to be surrounded with such love and happiness ..and how blessed we are to have such precious charge of God's little ones !
    praying our Lord continues to bless you and your family

    sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hearts,how have you been? lovely pics of the kids and their performance sounds delightful (so does yours). they havea talented and dedicated mama,grt footsteps to follow! I am back now,hearts,know its been a longtime here and on facebook.
    Hope all has been grt with you!
    Tc and hugs!

    ReplyDelete