Sunday, December 23, 2007

This is a busy CHristmas ...The dinner I planned for has come and gone. It was really good time catching up with old friends. Guess what? they all loved the food, and a few suggested I opened a restaurant. haha.... but no way. I spent way too long preparing all the food, if I were to open a restaurant, the dishes would never get to the guests on time. :)

ANyways, am gonna go cook now. Gonna help my sis in law prepare a dish for the party at her house tonight. Will probably make Mexican Chili topped with Mashed potatoes.
Tomorrow will be grandma's, and I will be the one bringing THE turkey. Then on Christmas day it will be at my parents. Well...what to do, we have a VERY large extended family.

I've a question, if Gail can answer? If I buy a self basting turkey, would I have to add salt still? How much? do I add a lot lesser than usual?
ANyway, here's some pictures. Enjoy.




Nel decorating her gingerbread star

The finished product. It was delicous and not like the super hard cookies you get outside. I substituted the Molasses with 3 parts Treacle and 1 part Golden Syrup. I also omitted the black pepper and cut back on the cloves. Yummy.

here's one decorated by Little Jo. YUmmy with extra cream, fingerprints and drool. Partly licked too before it was finished. :) Jo calls it the "funny gingerbread man."

My Golden turkey..I used fresh herbs. The fresh ones are SO expensive. Can you imagine, I paid 15$ for 2 sprigs of Thyme? and a hundred plus for this small turkey? I also covered the turkey with streaky Bacon which costs a LOT here. For 5 thin slices I paid something like 20$.




My Shepherd's Pie, which was really a favourite of the day. I layered the potatoes with Parmesan cheese in between...which really added flavour to the potatoes

Anyway, yeah...better get cooking now.

Merry CHristmas ALLLLLLL.....................


7 comments:

  1. Hi Hearts,
    When I read about your comments in my space that "Conservative" ha ha
    I can tell you that when I dress up to lower neck line dress there my hubby's used to said "Sweeti" your dress is not suit for where we are going tonight....
    It mostly an old fashion people are there at the party...
    So I needed to change to COSERVATIVE dressed HA HA HA
    Turkey:I don't remember to add salt?
    Nel's Gingerbread is very nice it so pretty that pitty to eat???
    Jo's done good job too.
    You are lucky to have healthy children. " Merry Christmas!"
    Trying to be back next week?..
    Love xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Hearts,
    Wow, your photos all look so good... mmm mmm. ha ha.
    Sounds like you truly are such a busy little elf this time of year, but it is a lot of fun too.
    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas...
    Hugs & Kisses
    Love
    Shelley
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called the Butterball Turkey hotline and they said do not brine it, if that is what you meant, because the self-basting product has enough salt in it. If you meant seasoning the turkey, you can season as much as you want on the skin but adding salt under the skin might make it too salty. Also, if you make gravy from the drippings, the added salt to the skin or otherwise will add to the salt content of the basting solution. Does this make sense? Please let me know.

    Your food and cookies look wonderful! I haven't ever seen such large peas! I thought that treacle and molasses were the same thing. Hmmm...

    hugs and kisses to all, auntie gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey darling dear cousin!! :) ur turkey was lovely btw. i usually do NOT like turkey but this is a yummy exception. ;) anyway this blog is really you too lol. :) COME BY MORE OFTEN ANd read all my ramblings and ill read urs :) love uuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey dear hearts.... i got my own blog... some new things....

    take good care..

    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hearts,
    Thank you being a good friend over the year ..
    I wish Happy New Year to you and your family and nest year will bring many more good news and lots of fun turning your dreams into REALITY in near future...
    Maybe you would having a babyLOL!!
    Big Hugs,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking of you alot, my friend. Hope all is well, auntie g

    ReplyDelete