Sunday, October 14, 2007

Thank God we're safe

I just wanna give thanks to God that me and the kids are ok. What happened today....
well, first I sent my husband to the airport coz he's gonna attend his nephew's wedding back in his hometown. The airport is a good 1 hour away, and today it was just raining endlessly and HEAVILY!

So after I dropped him off, we drove home in heavy torrential rain. So heavy I could barely see more than 30-50 meters ahead of me. Since we were so far from home, I wanted to maintain a reasonable speed to get home quick and out of the horrid rain. I was on the fast lane most of the time, little Jo asleep in her car seat and Nel almost dozing off.

About 20 mins before home, I slowed down thinking I'd come to the exit, but it wasn't, so I kept on the left lane, and I thank God for that, for at that my moment, my car started hydroplanning It was pretty scary, I admit. coz all of a sudden I lost control of the steering, it wouldn't respond, and no matter what I did, my car kept skidding to the left. If I had been on the fast lane as I had been most of the journey, surely we would have collided with another vehicle and my little girls and I would be in a pretty bad shape. (shivers)

Well, when I lost control of the car, it kept skidding towards the left no matter what I did....and common sense told me not to hit the breaks too hard or we might just summersault altogether over the very short barrier into the monsoon drain. What I did was to ease off the accelerator and to step very lightly on the breaks, a little at a time...till it slowed a little. Still we inevitably crashed into the barrier. I thank God, we did not overturn. Little Jo's side of the window smashed to bits, and I Thank GOD, my little girl was not hurt. Sure, she was jolted from her slumber and cried unconsolably for a while.

We waited about half hour before my bro came to help us (in the very heavy rain). I suppose I am a little shaken....and still a little jittery.... but again, Praise God, we're all ok.

here attached is an excerpt from an online website..should you face the same situation.

Car response
What the driver experiences when a car hydroplanes depends on which wheels have lost traction and the direction of travel.
If the car is traveling straight, it may begin to feel slightly loose. If there was a high level of road feel in normal conditions, it may suddenly diminish. Small correctional control inputs will be ignored by the car. If the drive wheels hydroplane, there may be a sudden audible rise in engine RPM and indicated speed as they begin to spin. In a broad highway turn, if the front wheels lose traction, the car will suddenly begin to drift into an outer lane. If the rear wheels lose traction, the back of the car will begin to slew out sideways into a skid. If all four wheels hydroplane at once, the car will slide to an outer lane. When any or all of the wheels regain traction, there may be a sudden jerk in whatever direction that wheel is pointed.

Recovery
To recover, never turn the steering wheel of the car or apply the brakes. Either action could put the car into a skid from which recovery would be difficult or impossible.
Instead, with no change in steering input, gently ease pressure off the gas; control should then return. If braking is unavoidable, use light pumping actions on the brakes until hydroplaning has stopped.
With a manual transmission, immediately when you notice that you are hydroplaning, press the clutch down so all wheels can roll freely; this will restore grip.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Hearts,
    Thank GOD YOU WERE SAFE and children, when I started reading your post then I have concerned what going to happent her?
    and quickly read to end than read again, I hope you are feeling alright my friend...
    Please take care and have a quiet time today.
    Warms Hugs,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise be to God, Hearts, that you and your girls are safe. Had anything happened to any of you my heart would have broken. Bless you, bless you, dear sister. auntie g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hearts,
    I just coming to see you are alright? When I wake up in early hours of the morning ...it just a nightmare that never goes away.
    It's the horror of having to thinking about you and your kid's.
    I still think Thank God.
    I hope you are quite down now.
    (from shocked)
    BIG HUGS,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heart,

    I am very thankful that you and your little ones are safe in the hand of God. Please take it easy...

    HT

    ReplyDelete
  5. thnk u sis, love ya and miss ya lots and yes!!!!
    I've ben given what I needed, God!! and His advice!!
    love ya lots

    ~Wen~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Hearts, just got around to read your blog...thank God you and the girls are safe...thanks for the kind advice despite the scary experience...girl...

    ReplyDelete