Wednesday, August 29, 2007

In Search of Imitation Kipling


Kippling & Le Sportsac
Recently some of my friends had been telling me how unique Kipling bags and Le SportSac bags are. So I went to check them out, and YES, I simply fell in love with these two brands. they are unique, and "young", nothing like the boring old leather bag.


Unfortunately, the prices here are RIDICULOUSLY high!! Well, I suppose if you're earning 1000 pounds a month, a 90f bag is no big deal. But convert it to M'sian ringgit, the bag becomes a whopping 630$$$!! So, yeah, I was disappointed when I stepped into a LeSports shop and a Kippling store to find most products 250 and above. That's not very affordable when I don't earn too much.


Well, somebody told me I might find an imitation if I went to Petaling Street, which is a little ChinaTown in Kuala Lumpur. A street (very very long street) packed with stalls after stalls of imitation stuff! So me, hubby and sis in law, decided upon a trip to the street. We parked all our kids at my mum's and set off on a Tues night, thinking it wouldn't be so crowded. I was WRONG! It was so packed, the lanes were so narrow, I found myself being bumped left and right while tourists walked past me by the hundreds! I had my camera but I couldn't take very nice shots, simply coz I'm not as tall as all the tourists there. Well, I'm a mere 5' 2 and the tourists mainly from Europe are TALL. Anyway, after one hour, I couldn't find any Kiplings, but LOTS of LeSportSac of VERY BAD quality!



My husband the "thick-faced" haggler stood by me everytime I thought I was interested in something. You really have to haggle there. I saw many a tourist being cheated out of their pockets. Some of the sellers are nice, some are really RUDE and they talk like they're gonna kill you when you try to bargain for a lower price. So it's good to go with someone who's not easily intimidated (like my husband). haha..

Well, finally after 2 hours of walking, I chanced upon a store that sold pretty good imitation of the Kippling bag! hahahha....and thus, here is my new Kippling bag priced at only 35RM, instead of the whopping 350RM! hahaha....I also bought myself an imitation Coach wallet for a very cheap price. (we bargained it down from 85Rm to 28Rm!) Ok, I'm not too proud of myself for buying imitation stuff. In fact this is the first time I'm buying imitation stuff. There were also TONNES of pirated VCD's, I'm proud I did NOT get one of those. but...still it was an interesting shopping experience, and though an imitation, I'm proud of my new Kippling bag, and my husband is also very happy with his bargaining skills. Yeah, we brought it down from 75 per bag to 35. :)








A collage of some of the shots I took on Petaling Street.



A stall selling delicous charcoal grilled chestnuts



WANNA Come shop here at Petaling Street? imitation Nikes, Adidas, perfumes, wallets. You name it they have it!

9 comments:

  1. see how handy husbands can sometimes be ..lol
    you got a bargain there girl !
    great photos too :-)I would love to shop with you and your family :-)

    love and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I take deep pleasure in informing thatthat you have been tagged by yours truly and are cordially invited to participate in the "tag-of -war" !! :) Please come over and read the rules :) !!

    Thanks



    Love

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally able to catch up with you! Your pictures of your garden are lovely and your pictures of the market near to sent me into panic mode! (I don't do well with crowds.)

    How I baby J doing with her eating and sleeping? I pray that you are getting more peace. Has N started school, yet?

    So much to catch up on! I hope and pray that all is well with you. blessings, g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear...congratulations on your treasure hunt

    Nice pictures,dear.Thanks for the mini tour...

    Hugs and kisses!

    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. take your time,lady :) !!
    Happy Independence day !! This freedom is very precious and this is what gives us our identity in this big world !! We recently celebrated our 60th Independence Day on the 15th of August !!

    Your blog was an interesting read !! Grt bags and i have heard of the Petaling Street being famous for its "genuine fakes" !!:)
    Enjoy and tc!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hearts,
    Well very excitanting about the bags? But you thinking about seriously said you have the bag and
    no Cash in your hand that doesn't make sense to you? NO MONEY IN YOUR HAND thta's sad, anyway I thought was sad.
    It mostly shown off business isn't it?
    As you know I am just no imagination for those things anymore then if you said to me the golf clubs I would spent much more then that ha ha ha
    Dependent what you are interested.
    I've been tagged by Four friends (included Sonia)So, I am going to on the Saturday morning (silly business)LOL!
    Have a wonderful weekend with your loved ones,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I fogot tell you about charcoal grilled chestnuts that my favorites,every the Autumn times
    I go to up the hill to buy the chestnuts and I cooked in the oven
    for 35 minutes, only times I used my oven LOL!
    Love xxxxxxxMichiko

    ReplyDelete
  8. I inclination not agree on it. I regard as nice post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to review the unscathed story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

    ReplyDelete