Thursday, June 28, 2007

Yellow...

Recently at a children’s party, all the children started asking for the balloons hung up on the walls. There was only one pink balloon, and almost every girl wanted the pink balloon!
N didn’t bother at all. She went to a corner happily by herself, straight for the yellow balloon. Yellow, is her favourite color. Ask her, and she’ll tell you without any hesitation, yellow.

When we went looking for a new bike yesterday, she picked yellow. The man was surprised. He commented to N, "most little girls come in here and pick pink, red or blue. You’re quite different!" In a recent survey I read, it said those who like yellow are usually different in the sense that they dare to be different and have a very creative, different outlook to life.

That’s N I suppose. But with the creativity comes some “difficulty.” Little girls are supposed to be neat and tidy. N is messy..and loves playing with sand, puddles and even mud if given a chance. She's messy when eating too! Little girls sit quietly and do everything teachers say. I’ve seen the other girls in her classes do that. However, N will have moments when she sits and observe and moments when she'd rather do her own things.

In most classes she goes to, the comments are always the same. A very loving girl, smart but mischievous, and sometimes uncooperative. Yes, my daughter is not the soft, gentle submissive kind. She is loving, but sometimes rough. Obedient but sometimes rebellious and mischievous.

We’ve given up on sending her to swimming class. Her cousin called and asked if she’d try ballet. So we gave it a shot today. She went in reluctantly at first, but she survived... ok, she enjoyed.

When all the little girls came out, the teacher commented to each parent “good, very obedient.” Then came my turn and the teacher said “good…but this little one is a little mischievous, I’ve to keep my eye on her.” Mouth At Side Ahh…I was expecting that already. In fact, my heart beats overtime when picking her from classes, coz i always wonder what the comments will be for the day. haha... Embarrassed

Looking back, and pondering about my own childhood, between the years of 4 and 7…I was a little mischievous girl too. I got into trouble with teachers. The thing is…most teachers have no time, and cannot stand mischievous children.

But what is life without a little mischief? Boring. That’s what I think. Pondering on why I was I mischievous? I think it was to test limits, to kill boredom, to get a little attention, mind working overtime, to test action and consequence, to be creative (at the expense of others.. Dumb )…etc.. many reasons.

I wish N could be the model student in class without that mischief. It would safe me a lot of unnecessary palpitation! haha...Yet, I do not wish for anyone (including my impatient self) to kill that spark of mischief in her. I just hope she will meet understanding teachers along the way who will guide and turn that mischievous or creative spark into something positive instead of killing it. but...yeah, I'd wish she'd be more predictable and obedient in classes. I'm praying hard mums!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is later now. I took N to the swimming pool again with her cousin. She entered a little afraid at first, but progressed really quickly today! what she did today, she could not do in swimming class even after so many classes. She actually sticked her whole head under water for about 14 seconds! Then it dawned on her that she could see under water and she got excited! She exclaimed "Mum, I can see your feet and swimming clothes!" In The Pool I also got her a little submarine which is really cool, coz it speeds under water in all directions, zooming by in unpredictable directions. Her cousin really dived for it, he lives by the pool, so no problem. Well, soon N figured that if she wanted to catch it, she'd have to look under water for it. :) Ah...I'm happy knowing she's slowly overcoming her fear...and it is a big achivement for her. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upon arriving home N looked at the moon and asked "Mum...can I go to the moon?"

I replied "no dear, only astronauts go to the moon."

"Well then mum" said N, "I want to be an astronaut when I grow up. I want to go to the moon."

"Are you sure?" I asked, my heart skipping a beat in nervousness.

"Yes, mum. I want to be an astronaut"

Well, I know it's just a dream, not real so I don't have to get worried. Then she asked "Mum, will any monsters jump out of the craters on the moon to catch me?"

"No dear, no living things on the moon, just rocks."

"Are you sure mum?"

"Yes dear."

"Mum..sometimes I'm afraid there are monsters..hiding in my toilet"

"Let's pray dear...the Bible says I will not be afraid. Your rod and your staff they comfort me. When you're afraid, pray N, and know there are angels watching you."


I've said it again..but I'll say it again. Life raising children is wonderful but not easy..it's unpredictable..and suddenly how these little ones act and how they feel matter so much, that my own feelings don't really matter so much anymore. It's all about them for now. My children. Oops, must not forget to safe some extra love for hubby too. :) haha...

3 comments:

  1. Hello Hearts,

    From not wanting to stick her head underwater to being an astronaut - what a difference. In astronaut training they have to go completely underwater. Children are so much fun. We went to the "Texas Roadhouse" to eat yesterday - my Wife's birthday. Of course my youngest Grandson wanted to go there - peanut fights:)

    If I could send you aome of Central Texas's rain I would. They have had more than enough for now. Snow in the summer time? I would love it just because of the people who would complain.

    We're all doing well. Those who were bothering me seem to have finally gotten the message. I do get an occassional pest but they don't last long. I take it over to my second site and turn everything back on them - valid arguments.

    Have fun with the mischievious one. As is said, "What goes around, come around."

    Peace & Blessings.
    rwc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hearts,
    I likes a way N want to do diference to the other just likes mum ha ha ha
    My sons when he was like N age at the school they had to play a fesival this story was something about the sheepherder and the sheep'there my sons doesn't want to be the sheep(because an animal)
    this was hot days in sunmmer with not enough air condition then he need to wear winter dressing gown,
    he was sweat likes a pig lOL!
    But today he had own business...
    becase he doesn't follow other that likes the sheep'ha ha ha
    Enjoy your life with your love ones,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Hearts! Our cultures are so different. A little bit of mischief is a sign of intelligence. N probably gets bored easily because her teachers are going too slowly for her. She may need greater challenges.

    Also, I do believe she is her mother's daughter! Awww, so cute.

    J, too, is so smart. Smelling the avocado concoction! Even the chocolate didn't throw her off! Amazing.

    Take care, g

    ReplyDelete