Monday, March 8, 2010

MESS MESS!

Tippity tappity tippity tap…move the very quick, light and nimble feet of my daughter Jo. Very frequently when I’m teaching piano and Nel is away at language class, Jo would approach me while asking “what shall I do mum? what shall I do???” and I’d reply in a low, impatient voice “Go do whatever you want…now shoo, go, go.” She’d then usually ask “May I…..” as her voice becomes fuzzy in my mind as I return focus to my student…while simply replying “yes” to whatever she says.

Then…off she’d go, quick as lightning…tippity..tappity tap.

When the day is done, and I’m free…I’m often Surprised, HoRRified, Amused by her creations and MESS she’s created, either in all the rooms upstairs or in the kitchen or bathroom. Last week for instance, she cleared 20 over books off the study table, put a cloth over to build a tent underneath. Underneath the table she placed towels, blankets, and a whole lot of stuff. There were just books and clothes everywhere! Unbelievable mess!

On Fri, I discovered she’d taken out every single sock she could find in the house (my husband’s mine and Nel’s), laid a “jungle trek” from the living room, up the stairs, to the room. In between this “trek” of socks, were strewn all sorts of toys and stuff, bait it seems for Nel to follow the trek. It was MAJOR MESS!

Yesterday I discovered that she and Nel had ferried food stuff from the fridge to the living room, using the bike they brought in from outside. They were picnicking on 2 large towels, and needless to say, there were crumbs and dirt tracks everywhere in the living room.

Some days I’d find her in the shower…and judging by the way the water’s running out of the tub, she’s been in there for at least half hour, having imaginary conversations with her dolls. There would be damp towels on the bathroom floor, EMPTY bottles of soap and shampoo coz she’s bathed her dolls. [she’s done this many times…despite warnings…it’s time for the paddle?]

I won’t even begin to mention the mess in the kitchen and in the FRIDGE! Sometimes I laugh coz it’s so amusing, but most days I put on a stern voice and very firmly make her clear every single bit of mess she’s created. Still I have to do the mopping and vacuuming after she’s cleared up.

What am I gonna do with this child of mine? As I write this, my fridge is a mess coz she’s stuffed it with crackers and sandwiches she’s made for everyone, ice cubes she’s made in diff containers. And now she’s sleeping in an imaginary bed made by Nel underneath the curtains, surrounded by toys. This bed by the way is amazing. Built by Nel it even includes lighting (made by attaching a flashlight to a very long rope tied to the curtains).

Shall I send her to boarding school to reduce the mess in the house? I guess…not an option for now, probably never.... sigh

1 comment:

  1. Your girls have been blessed their mother's vivid imagination and artistic abilities!

    ReplyDelete