Sunday, October 26, 2008

reading before bedtime

Nel loves to ask her daddy to read, especially before bedtime. Yesterday I had a glimpse of what’s it like coz Nel was in my room. She grabbed a book off the shelf and told her daddy to read it. The book happened to be Gulliver’s Travels, the original classic version, in very very small font.

So both father and daughter rested on the bed as daddy read. I left them and went to shower Jo, prepared her for bedtime. When I got back to the room, I found Nel, half asleep. Her father (my husband :)) was reading, not chapter one, BUT the preface to Gulliver’s Travels, in the most monotonous voice I’ve ever heard. Low.....sleepy...... monotonous voice! He too looked half asleep like he’d just read the history book!!

I said loudly, Nel, “why in the world did you ask your dad to read Gulliver’s travels of all thing?” then turning to my husband I asked “and Hon! Why in the world are you reading the preface???”

Nel woke from her half slumber and said “mum, don’t disturb, I want dad to read so I can sleep!”

I was amused, I’d thought it’s coz she loved stories, but no, it’s coz the voice of her father has the powers to put my little one to sleep! Hmmmm….

I looked at my husband who had not replied to my question, but who’d continued reading in his monotonous voice, showing great disinterest in the preface to Gulliver’s Travels. He read like he was reading a legal document or something, and as his voice became lower, his eyelids almost closing, he struggled to read the very last paragraph in the Preface. And he read it like this:

“Gul-li-vers travels..was, (eyes half closing), like the most of (nodding off here)..like most of Sw…Sw..Swift’s work….(temporary silence) ano..anomy…anonous…anomy..amonynoy.....anonymously and is the….(eyes closed….)….is the…..(reading in his sleep now.)”

That’s when I interrupted again, “Nel, get to your room now, you’re almost asleep." Then turning to my husband I said quite loudly, "Hon, if you’d like to put Nel to sleep, read it to her in her room, and you can both fall asleep there.”

Hahahaha…..

The next day I asked Nel if she enjoyed Gulliver's Travels. She replied "who's Gulliver? did dad read me a story?" Oh, and when popping into Nel's room the next morning, I also noticed that Gulliver's Travels was opened to Chapter one, page one. I suppose that's when the father (my husband) fell into a deep sleep. Lol Smile





6 comments:

  1. I just thought would be nice to somebody read a book for my bed timesLOL!
    It was nice happy family day by day story...I think Nel's enjoyed with Dad's company to stayed with her on the bed times.
    And Dad's enjoyed really relaxing to...what about Mum? ha ha ha
    Keep smile,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come by to catch up and find a note just for me! You know me so well, Hearts! Of course I wanted the literal translation of "kiasu." I know that I have experienced it.

    Maybe your hubby can make a recording of his voice for me to help with my insomnia?!?

    Please hug the babies for me, a.g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I misread the definition! I thought you meant afraid of losing someone not losing in a competitive sense! I didn't sign my kids up for a lot of things. The Girl - ballet. The Boy - sports. What they wanted to do.

    hugs, g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahah! This was too funny Hearts! Will try this in future to put my kids to sleep...lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info. on twice exceptional children, H. Bells is a bit too young to be diagnosed but I am looking into it. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know me well, my friend. However, I tend to be a loner by choice at times. Pretty often, actually!

    Hearts - generous, hard working and a bit hard on yourself, in touch with your artistic and intellectual sides. How did I do?

    g

    ReplyDelete