Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Am finally back from the wonderful trip to Kuching. At first, I really dreaded the thought of going back for the annual celebration of Chinese New Year.

In the first few years of our marriage, going back to his hometown, was a torture. They used to think that my hubby had brought back an "Ang moh" wife (white/European wife). It didn't matter that my skin showed I was Chinese, fact was that my Chinese language was hopeless and I had little knowledge of the Chinese culture.

WHenever we go back, we stay with my hubby's 4th brother. That big village house is home to two families - 2nd brother and 4th brother, and mum. Each family has 4 children, thus making a total of 13 people. I say I stay with 4th brother, coz they've kinda divided the house into 2 zones, and I stay in 4th bro's zone. Why they've divided it? go figure yourself.

During my first few years, 4th bro's wife was...let's say, not very friendly. I will not specify in what way.... but ....needless to say, it created negative thoughts in my mind concerning my hubby's hometown and I spent many days in the guest room wishing I was home.

My mum in law, however, is a precious gem. Wise, calm and loving. Whenever my Chinese was lacking, we conversed in Bahasa Malaysia. haha..... My company there in the initial years before I had my my own children, were the children there. They made my visits there tolerable. They used to poke their heads into my room, and before long, I became very good friends with them. :) We've had really good times together doing all sorts of fun things. :)

In the years that followed, through my close friendship with the children...and my decision to remain polite and calm no matter what,...... things began to change for the better. This Chinese New Year, I'm happy to say that I got on very well with the entire family, partly because my Chinese has improved somewhat since then. :)

I even cooked some dishes for them, which they enjoyed. :) The trip was really wonderful. We did about 5 days of travelling...mostly to beaches and National Parks, and 5 days of visiting with friends and family. Their kids, now teens and qualified drivers, did the driving. :)

I've to say that this time, I came away, missing that place and the wonderful people and the wonderful in laws very much. :)

It's really a "happening" place, in the sense that there's always people around...I mean, it IS that way because out of the 8 children my mum in law has, 5 of them and their families and their children's children, live on the same street. That's why it is so "lau juak" - a Hokkien word meaning,........err....meaning.....warm and crowded with people you love to be with.

ok, will try to get some pics up. and will put them up soon. In the mean time, Happy Chinese New Year, or Lunar New Year to my friends who celebrate it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hearts,
    I'm glad your were enjoyed the trip to see your family and celebrated a Happy new year.
    I beleved damage your weight?
    I had been very good diet myself.
    After one month later only lost 1.5kg...Now I'm doing an exercise for my waist ha ha ha
    I look forward to the photos coming...
    By the way I went the chinese resturant with 10 chinese friends.
    Nomore celebration LOL!
    Next Monday my G-baby will coming up?
    Tomorrow my daughter in law mother's coming from NZ only four hours b Air.
    Have a great time,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete