Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A visit to the Retirement home

Last weekend, me and the kids and a group of dedicated volunteers visited a Retirement Home for senior citizens, many of them ill or disabled. It was quite an interesting and enriching experience for me and particularly for little Nel. I have to admit that I wasn't used to the stares and environment at first, but I got used to it after a while. I was really touched to see how the volunteers there really sat down to talk to the elderly...not just talk, but with a heart that truly loved these people.


One of them led me to a lady who was in her 80's and partially blind. I was a little uncomfortable, not knowing how to start the conversation. But then, I realised I didn't have to talk much, for she was full of interesting stories, and all I had to do was to listen.

As for Little Nel, she was running around in the backyard..and finally came in to sit on the sofa. An elderly man who could hardly walk, suddenly stood up, and looked like he was agigated by us. He struggled and mumbled something unclear.....and tried to move towards Nel. Nel panicked for a while.... but then we realised, all he wanted to do was to hold Nel's hands. That's all he wanted to do. Nel's first reaction was to hide her hands behind her back, but after some coaxing, she stretched out her hands to hold the elderly man's hands. Wow...it brough such a broad smile onto that man's face. :)

She was encouraged, and began going round holding hands of almost all of the elderly folk who stay there...praying for them too. She wants to go back. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hearts,
    This is very interested entry that
    you went the retirement home with Nel, I think you did right things
    as human beings, everybody getting old in end, ha ha it's not ha ha ha
    it's sad but this is our life isn't it?
    The an old man would be very happy after he had hold hand with Nel,
    I think you were very good mother
    to show to realiy world to Nel's.
    Have a nice day, No commets in here So, I made comments for you,LOL!
    Have a nice day,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet Nel ...taking them visiting is good for them .I did it with our 3 boys for years ,it makles them tender towards the needy and thankful that they have family !
    they all speak of the visits noew as adults and their memories of visiting the elderley and sick are good .
    God bless you for taking the time to do His work

    ReplyDelete