Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I met Dr. Quack at the clinic! Really QUACK DOCTOR!

well...it's been weeks now since the havoc with Baby J's appetite started. Today was just as disastrous. I put her on her chair and she started standing up refusing to even sit. So I let her sit in the adult chair, and offered to her several types of food. There were fish fingers, sweet corn, rice, porridge, potatoes. Well...she refused them all! arrghhh....
___________________________________
On another note...we're having a fund raising event in July, for a good cause. Well, we've been asked to organize a little band, and I've been appointed as keyboardist. Today was the first practice. It's strange how awkward I felt, and somehow that sense of confidence which I always had wasn't there. It just shows that I've gotta REALLy get back into music...for too much time out can really pull down that sense of confidence. Let's hope this event will boost my confidence a bit, especially with playing in a band.
__________________________________
And finally, yes, I'm down with the horrible flue too. I went to nearest clinic where there's this really good lady doctor from India. Somehow she was on leave yesterday and another doctor stood in for her. I call him Dr. "Quack" ! This doctor "quack" as I call him, speaks with really thick accent. He looks at you with big bulging eyes, and wears this thick thick moustache which curls upwards. He has messy hair, messy clothings and comes way too close when he talks! Here is the conversation which I had with this doctor last night. Read it and you'll know why I call him Dr. Quack!

"I have the flue doctor...." I said.
He asked me to open my mouth and then said "Ah, your right tonsil is swollen. Oh, then you should drink more soup. Soup will cure you."

"More soup?" I asked

He said "Yes, and add LOTS of salt in the soup. Salt and pepper does wonders."" It'll kill all the bacteria in your throat." he added, shaking his head from side to side to emphasize his words.

I stared at him in disbelief and kept quiet. Then he told me that my blood pressure was really low. So I asked him what I should do about it.

He replied without blinking his eyes, "You have to drink more milk."

"More milk?" I asked again...this time with eyes wide opened.

"Yes, he replied. Milk is good. It'll give you extra oxygen which you need to boost the blood pressure. Milk will carry all the oxygen to your blood stream. You don't know ah? Milk got oxygen what." he said, coming too near to me, eyes popped wide opened.

"Are you sure?" I asked... while staring at his moustache and taking note of his untidy apprearance.

"Yes, yes, milk gives extra oxygen. And take it only in the morning. If you take at night you will grow fat coz when you go to sleep, all your cells, those fellas in your body, go to sleep too." Said the doctor. And then he went on to say "you can take other milk products too, like ice cream, chocolate, chocolate cake, cheese." "Yeah, and take 4 kg's of garlic in a month. That will definitely cure your low blood pressure. Oh, and exercise. Only cycling, swimming is not good, will not cure you. Remember to take lots of garlic." "If all that don't work, go see a doctor."

I wonder why he didn't say "come back and see me."By this time I'm ready to walk out, but my dear husband is really listening to the doctor, coz he is really a patient man who will not offend anybody.

And then my dear husband says, "wow, in that case, I should try to take milk at night, coz I can't seem to put on any weight at all!" (It's true, coz my husband is thin, and I wish I could eat like him and not put on weight! not fair!)
My husband continues by popping a question. "Dr, is it true that the tonsils control your metabolic rate?"

I swear my eyes almost buldged out...and I wonder what the heck was my husband asking? I waited for Dr. "Quack's" reply...and here's how he reacted.
The Doctor took a big, deep breath as if stunned by my husband's question. He gave one, two coughs and cleared his throat loudly. THen he replied ...
"Well...tonsils?? ahem...well.....YES, yes, in some cases tonsils control your metabolic rate and weight...but not in all people...just in some. Yes, tonsils can control your weight."

I'm about to burst out laughing. So I stand up and say "hon, our children are getting impatient, let's go." So we left. He prescribed me lozenges, cough med, antibiotics, anti swelling med, and two more meds which I didn't bother to look at. Later I asked my husband how in the world does tonsils control metabolic weight. My husband realised his mistake. He meant to say thyroid glands.

Anyway, I'm really confused with this Dr now, I've to go find out if there was any truth in anything he said. If I'm to follow his advice, I've to drink lots of salty/peppery soup, take lots of milk, chocolate and ice-cream and only cycle and not swim. And i have to take at least 1 kg of garlic a week. hahaha..... what will happen to me then? ahahahha....

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I thought drinking milk helps to lose weight...hmmm...I'm sure I read somewhere..

    Ok, so you're playing in the band...great:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hearts,

    That must have been quite an experience with Dr Quack!! This is the weirdest experience !! In real life ,its a nightmare...imagine him treating people who will believe in him and their plight !! Cant you report such "doctors"??? They need to have their medical licences taken away !!
    Hope you are feeling better now, Hearts !! A flu can be quite draining and you really need to look after yourself!!
    Hope baby Jo settles down soon,that she surely will,with time....:) !! each phase comes with its problems and grt times !! Life cant be that smooth...isnt it? LOL
    Look after yourself !
    Love,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hearts,
    This was a Jokes? you needed to have a lots of the SALTY/Peppery soup.Of cause your blood presure will be up from too much in taking the salts ha ha even I knew that...
    4 kg's of garlic ...if you have ate that much garlic??..first the message from your hubby OH!no no...although you might be loosing your friendsLOL!
    Good lucky with your band, Do you best, okay...Big Hugs, Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  4. This guy really is a quack! Don't listen to him. With low blood pressure I do need to have a bit more salt, though. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. quack quack ...lol
    I can smell you from here ,all that garlic .I thought garlic wa supposed to lower your blood pressure .Maybe it is tonsils that conrol my metabolism and not having any makes that tricky ..ha ha I do hope that you are feeling better by now ,inspite of the diagnosis ,go see a Doctor next time not a duck :-)

    ReplyDelete