Thursday, May 17, 2007

good/bad news

Today was a good day. Well, good and bad. The bad news is that we found out that Nel actually has 6 whopping cavaties in her little mouth! According to the dentists that is A LOT for a little girl of 5. (Incidentally, she'll turn 5 on the 23rd of May!)

Well, I felt bad as a mum, coz the dentist must be thinking what a horrible mum I am to allow these cavaties. Well actually before the age of 3, it was a terrible struggle getting Nel to open her mouth for brushing. And at 3 it was a struggle getting her off her milk bottle (which caused some of the cavaties). And now, it's a struggle trying to tell her that chocolates, biscuits and sweets will NOT do good to her teeth. (she gets them as treats from her teachers!..and sometimes me...oops...) If she could, she would have coco pops, and all these chocolate cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The result....6 horribly big, deep cavaties.

Well, the good news is that, after several failed attempts at getting her to the dentist, or getting her to OPEN her mouth while at the dentist, today we succeeded!! HOORAY!
Yes, I have been with her to the dentist before. She'd sit on my lap, two hands on her mouth for extra extra protection, while the dentists kindly, PATIENTLY tries to coax her into opening her mouth. They've never succeeded, till today. I could kiss this new dentist we tried today! hahaha....
Well, it took him 10 minutes to convince her that it was ok to show her teeth! I thought I saw sweat droplets on his forehead and I think he grinded his teeth once or twice in trying to maintain cool, and I did see a frown beginning to form on his forehead, though through it all he maintained a smile and calm voice. haha.....

Finally she opened wide, and he took his opportunity at digging out the rotten parts of the teeth. They looked brown, and Nel convinced that they were BIG FAT JUICY WORMS, allowed him to clean her teeth thoroughly. THen he told her he was gonna put some delicous play dough in her teeth to keep the worms from coming back, and she allowed it. :) So I'm happy that's done. Not totally, but some filled. Still another 2 appointments to go.

The other good news is that Nel is beginning to gain some water confidence while in the pool. :) So she's starting swimming classes. She will not yet put her whole head in water, but at least, she's willing to do other stuff now. like swim with the board, do the spider crawl and blow bubbles.

okie dokie, will end here. We just had dinner at Pizza Hut, us, cousins and cousins. 9 children in total! what a mess and terrible racket we made at that restaurant. Bet they were glad when we left! haha.... :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hearts,
    I need to quickly read then I realized it was okay...I imagen how hard for you at the dentist...
    Swimming classes need to be patience Mum...
    My younger son's was as same as your Nel that he doesnt like to get wet his face when his head in the water(short time)after that quickly wipe his face ....
    I'm Happy for you on THE HAPPY END YOUR NEWS.
    You are good mum keep it up,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey the same thing hapnd to me as a kid. i had a lot of cavities and i donno where they came from!!recently at a dental appointment, the dentist was perplexed as to why i had so many fillings when it looked like the rest of my teeth were perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete