Friday, May 15, 2009

compulsive liar? i hope not.

Just didn't feel like doing anything last night. Jo (now 3+ yrs old) however, wanted to play and kept asking "what do you want to do mum?" I kept replying "nothing."
Finally, thouroughly fed up with my answer, she took a deep breath and said very sternly

"Why don't you want to do anything? All you want to do is nothing....if all you want to do is nothing..then I am going to do something and you can do your nothing while I do something!"

And mind you, she said it all in one big breath. hahahaha.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
on a walk with Jo yesterday we came across some very big roots. I asked her "Jo, what do roots do?" without hesitation she replied "roots for for tripping people!" hahaha...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now on a serious matter...Jo's been telling lies quiet a bit lately. I'm trying my best to deal with it..but she keeps at it. Yesterday for instance 3 big lies.

No.1) she was building blocks and showed me her creation. I told her it was lovely and left the room. Several minutes later, I heard a loud moan and she said "it broke, mum, it broke!!" I entered the room and the blocks were broken apart. I asked her "how did it break?"
she replied "it fell off the bed."
"How did it fall off the bed Jo?"
Jo said, "well, the bed was wiggling and so the blocks fell off."
"hmm...so were you jumping on the bed to make it wiggle?"
"No mum, I didn't jump on the bed, it wiggled by itself. "
"bed can't wiggle by itself, tell teh truth!"
"ok,ok" said Jo. "The blanket was wobbling coz the wind blew it, and it made the bed wiggle and.."
"Jo, I think your nose is growing longer...."
Jo touched her nose and asked "Like Pinocchio's?"
I nodded.
"ok mum, the truth is I took the blocks apart"

She she took it apart and pretended to moan! I can't believe it!
XXXXXXXX

No.2.
me: "Jo, go to the toilet, we have to go out soon, and I won't use the dirty public toilets."
Jo: "ok mum" and she went off to the toilet. She was in there about 30 seconds and came out.
Me: "so quickly jo? did you flush?"
Jo: "oh, I forgot."
Me:" let's go flush."

we went to the toilet and I noticed that we water in the toilet bowl was crystal clear, not a drop of pee. so I said sternly "Jo, did you shee-shee (pee) ?? tell me the truth."
Jo looked at me sheepishly and replied "errm...actually I didn't." So I made her pee there and then. *sigh*
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

no.3. Jo: "mum, I need tissue.
Me: why?
Jo: nothing
me: tell the truth
jo: ok,ok, I spilled some water
Me: where did you get the water? where is the cup?
Jo: umm....missing
Me: ok, now tell me what you spilled??? (I already knew it was glue, but wanted her to say it for herself.)
Jo: ummmm...ok,ok, I spilled glue

There's a whole lot more ... I'm trying to praise her when she tells the truth. I've told her the story of the boy who cried wolf, and tried several other methods. but it's not working yet. Any tips???

4 comments:

  1. About Jo's tell a lie,
    I wondering she is looking for more attention from you?
    Only way slowly corrected her to not lie?
    Do you remember the story of a boys said about a bad wolf...and in end really come after him that time nobody helps him.
    I think very delicate the age ...
    Please patience with her.
    I hope you can have DO NOTHING DAY lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! aww... "roots are for tripping people" i so have to tell everyone that!!! X)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally catching up again. Sorry I haven't been around.

    There is not much you can do about the lying that I know of. Keep letting her know you are on to her I guess.

    I miss our chats. Wish I could catch you on line.

    Any more thoughts on hs?? hugs, g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo sure is highly imaginative :)

    I don't think you need to worry about her growing up to be a compulsive liar or anything. Here are a few articles I found online that may be of help:

    http://preschoolers.about.com/od/behaviordiscipline/a/lying.htm

    http://life.familyeducation.com/lying/toddler/53836.html

    http://www.babycenter.com/0_lying-why-it-happens-and-what-to-do-about-it_65462.bc

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete